Barry Elementary uses a program developed by SRA called Imagine It! This program is a comprehensive elementary reading and writing program that builds on students' natural curiosity and imagination. The original program, Open Court, has a 45 year history of success in the classroom as an outstanding reading program. We chose this program after completing a year long study on the most effective reading strategies. We believe Imagine It! closely aligns with what we learned to be the best in reading instruction.
Imagine It! completely addresses the five key areas of Reading. Our students will begin instruction in these key areas as early as Kindergarten so they understand not just how to read and write, but the meaning and purpose of what they are learning:
* Phonemic Awareness
* Systematic, Explicit Phonics
Some of the reasons we choose this program include:
- Students understand not just how to read and write but the meaning and purpose of what they are learning
- Provides a framework to define the intensity and remediation required to bring students to grade level
- Reaches every learner at every level
- Teaches students to think, question, and investigate
- Maximizes student performance to meet Adequate Yearly Progress
- Students acquire the skills, knowledge and strategies they need to become skilled writers
- Introduces students to new words and teaches a range of strategies for learning, remembering, and incorporating unknown vocabulary words into their existing reading, writing, speaking and listening vocabularies
- Motivates to ensure students are learning
- Activities to ensure English Learner success
- Success for all students!
If you would like to know more about our reading program you can go to their web site at: http://www.imagineitreading.com/flash/index.php