The purpose of the CMS Equity Council is to provide leadership to create an equity plan, based on the Yazzie and Martinez consolidated lawsuit, for a high quality multicultural educational system. This council will create a plan for an effective and equitable system of supports for all students focused on root-cause analysis, equity focused leadership, continuous improvement and culturally and linguistically responsive curriculum and pedagogy.
Membership criteria will consist of members that represent students with disabilities, English learners, Bilingual Students, Native American Students, and economically disadvantaged students. Members will serve either a 3-year term or a 4 year-team. The Council will consist of:
- District Leadership representative or representatives
- 1 Secondary School Administrator
- 1 Elementary School Administrator
- 1 SPED Department representative
- 1 EL instructional staff member representatives
- 1 Bilingual Staff representative
- 1 Homeless Liaison
- 1 Community representative
- 1 Elementary Parent representative
- 1 Secondary Parent representative
- 1 Student representative
*Additional members may be appointed to accomplish Key School Goals identified by the state.